Farmers Markets are weekly markets where local farmers bring their freshly picked crops for sale to the public. Here are 10 reasons why you should shop your local farmers market:
- Save money! These days we all need to save money where we can, so why not get a superior product at a better price? Farmers markets are usually less expensive than buying the same, less fresh, produce at the grocery store. This is because the store has to pay the cost of transporting the produce from where it came from.
- The produce at a farmers market is freshly picked at the height of its flavor and nutrition! Food just tastes better when it is fresh; also the vitamin content of the produce begins to decrease the moment it’s picked.
- Support your local community and your local farmers by shopping at the farmers market. When you buy produce at the grocery store, it was probably shipped in from other states or even other countries!
- Fresh fruit and vegetables are packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients!
- Get your kids involved! Have them try samples and let them choose a new fruit or vegetable and let them help you prepare it for your meal or snack.
- Meet your local farmers and find out what crops are grown in your area at which time of the year.
- Create a “Healthy Eating Plate” with the produce purchased at the farmers market. You can get everything you need for balanced nutritious meals at the farmers market!
- Farmers often know new and inventive ways to prepare their produce, so ask them! They know the best and most delicious way to eat their produce!
- Be adventurous - try a new fruit or vegetable! There are many lesser known fruits and vegetables at the farmers markets that you cannot get at the grocery store. Have you ever tasted lobster mushrooms or passion fruit? Taste something new, you might like it!
- Farmers markets are easy to find – just look for the blocked off road or parking lot with all of the tents! Or, you can call your local city council or look up “your city name + farmers market” and you should be able to find the information online.
If you do not have a local farmers market, try shopping at a roadside produce stand. These stands sell many of the same fresh local produce you can find at the Farmers Market. Not a fan of farmer markets? You can still support local farmers by shopping at the stores that carry their produce. You can find Owyheee Produce onions at both Paul's and Treasure Valley Walmarts. Sources
Image Source Via: http://boisefoodieguild.blogspot.com/2010/06/boise-saturday-market.html